Robert L. Whitaker
Vice President for Business and Finance
Mr. Whitaker was appointed as the Vice President for Business and Finance at Georgia Southern University effective May 1, 2013. Prior to joining Georgia Southern, Mr. Whitaker served as the Vice President for Finance and Administration at Georgia Highlands College a position he held since 2008. From 2001 to 2008, Mr. Whitaker served as the Director of Business Services at Southern Polytechnic State University. Early in his career, Mr. Whitaker spent six years working in business and finance positions at the state of Georgia including two years at the University System of Georgia system office as the Assistant Budget Director.
During his fifteen years of higher education experience, Mr. Whitaker has been instrumental in developing, constructing, and managing over $326 million in privatized housing, food service, and student center functions. In 2010, he received the University System of Georgia Office of Facilities Real Estate Award for Partnership with the University of West Georgia for the development of the joint Douglasville Instructional Site. He actively worked to establish an athletics program at Georgia Highlands College and is currently navigating the transition of the athletics program from the Football Championship Subdivision to the Football Bowl Subdivision. He has a strong history of successful stewardship of both physical and financial resources. Mr. Whitaker provides leadership, planning, and management to the following functions: financial services, human resources, university police, facilities planning and service, auxiliary services, and athletics compliance.
Mr. Whitaker is the Treasurer of Georgia Southern University’s Research, Philanthropic, Housing and Athletic Foundations. He was appointed to the Shared Services Governing Board by the University System of Georgia’s Chancellor. He co-authored the Tuition Differential Analysis for Southern Polytechnic State University and the Information Technology Report for the University System of Georgia.
- Southern Association of College and University Business Officer (SACUBO): Board Member (2012), Professional Development Committee member (2012), Chair of the Two Year College Constituent Committee (2012), Member of the Two Year College Constituent Committee (2011)
- National Association of College Auxiliary Services (NACAS): South Region member of Audit Committee 2007
- University System of Georgia Executive Leadership Institute Graduate 2012
- College Business Management Institute graduate 2004
- Six Sigma Green Belt certification 2006
- Using iStrategy to Improve Management Reporting, SACUBO Fall Workshop, 2010
- Construction 101 – Understanding the Basics of a Capital Project, SACUBO Fall Workshop, 2011
- Master in Business Administration – Georgia Southern University 1993
- Bachelors in Business Administration Accounting – Morehead State University 1991
Last updated: 2/17/2014