EAGLE ALERT (All Campuses): University Closure and Class Cancelation for Tuesday and Wednesday, September 3 and 4
Out of an abundance of caution, Georgia Southern University’s Statesboro Campus, Armstrong Campus and Liberty Campus will be closed and classes are canceled on Tuesday, September 3, and Wednesday, September 4, due to Hurricane Dorian. Georgia Southern libraries and sponsored events are also closed/canceled on Tuesday, September 3, and Wednesday, September 4.
- Tuesday (9/3): Access to campus will be limited to essential staff needed to prepare for the storm and for those who need to gather necessary items to ensure continued academic operations while the university is closed. Anyone unsure of their role should contact their supervisor for clarification. All campuses should be cleared by 5 p.m. No personnel other than emergency response personnel should be on any Georgia Southern campus until regular operations resume. All personnel should have their university ID with them at all times.
- Students in residence halls should find accommodations off-campus or prepare to shelter in place.
- University dining halls will be open Tuesday. Campus dining will have to-go meals available Tuesday evening.
- Georgia Southern Student Health Services, including all Health Services’ clinics on both campuses, Health Services Pharmacy, Eagle Eye Center, and Health Services Physical Therapy will be closed beginning Tuesday, September 3, and will remain closed until the University reopens for business. If you have an appointment scheduled during that time, it has been canceled. Please contact the Health Center on your respective campus when the University resumes normal business operations to reschedule. Patients needing emergency medication refills during closure should call the Health Services Nurse Call Line at 1-855-779-7185 and follow the prompts to speak to a nurse. Any messages sent to your provider in Online Student Health will not be reviewed nor responded to until we reopen for business. For information about resources for care when the Statesboro and Armstrong Campus clinics are closed, visit http://auxiliary.georgiasouthern.edu/healthservices/emergencies-and-after-hour-care/
- Wednesday (9/4): All operations on all campuses are canceled.
There are currently no plans to alter the schedule for events Friday and this weekend — including the home opening football game against Maine at Paulson Stadium Saturday at 6 p.m.
Hurricane Dorian continues to be unpredictable and its impact could be severe or minimal. Announcing closings today ensures the Georgia Southern family – some who are out of town for the long weekend – can properly prepare.
Students should monitor their online Folio accounts. Everyone should continue to monitor the weather for all changes and please be advised that the National Weather Service may send out wireless alerts to cell phones in the watch and warning areas for severe weather and tornadoes. Always heed the instructions of local emergency officials and recommendations from the National Weather Service.
Continue to monitor the University Alert Center at GeorgiaSouthern.edu/alert for further updates and information regarding housing, dining and other services. In the event that conditions worsen or the University closure is extended, we will notify the University community.
We encourage everyone to monitor the resources below and make preparations as necessary.
Posted in Alerts