If You Discover a Fire
- If the alarm is sounding, leave the building immediately. Never stay or assume it’s a false alarm.
- Follow the exit signs and the building evacuation procedure; and follow directions given by your Resident Assistant, Community Leader, or Building Emergency Safety Team.
- Stay calm, do not run.
- Do not use elevators.
- Touch doors and door handles before opening them, if they feel hot do not open them. Never enter a room where there is fire or smoke.
- If you encounter smoke, crouch down near the floor as you exit the room or building.
- Be vigilant on the way out, your observations could save a life.
- Assist those that may be mobility or visually impaired.
- If you are the last one out of a room, close the door.
- If you are unable to evacuate the building call 9-1-1 or try to alert responders through a window with an object or article of clothing.
- Go to the designated assembly area to check in.
- Never re-enter the building until a Public Safety Official gives the All Clear.
Last updated: 8/7/2020